Monday, October 18, 2010

An amazing weekend.

Our weekends have been packed full with events for the past couple months. My friend the other day said "You sure go to a lot of birthday parties!" Ha! I suppose we do. This weekend we didn't have any birthday plans, but we still had something pretty spectacular to do. We participated in the Light the night Walk in DC. It's the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's walk and fundraising event to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. My friend Melissa organized it in memory of her boyfriend's childhood best friend whom he lost to leukemia.

Let me just back up a few steps for you and tell you that we were a little nervous about how the kids were going to do. The walk itself didn't start until 7 and as we all know that's usually when my kids are in bed. We met at the metro at 5, which again we were nervous that Kolton would be a little freaked out. Boy were we wrong. He loved it. He kept saying "Choo choo!" Once we got to the city we tried to find someplace to have a quick dinner before going to the event. It was so crazy, it was like every place to eat was close.. except for McDonalds. and I'm pretty sure every person from DC and the surround area was in that McDs. We did have one small (Ha!) melt down from my son in there. You should know that my son is in l-o-v-e with balloons. Well, there was several people with that balloons, and he wanted them. So after a (very) quick bite to eat, we took of to the event. First stop..
The balloon tent!

From there we were ready to rock and roll. The city was pretty much closed off to us, and we just walked in memory and honor of all the survivors and in support of all those still struggling and families who support them everyday. It was pretty magical seeing the city lit up with all the balloons.
After the walk they had a band, bouncy houses, face painting, and food stands from a local restaurant giving out chili, chips, and water. After we ate some of the chili we headed back to the metro where Emma fell asleep in the stroller and Kolton flirted with Melissa. lol! Once we got back to the car both kids slept the whole way home AND slept until 8:30 the next morning! I think it's safe to say they had a blast, too! I'm so proud of how well they did, and thankful they can experience stuff like this with us. I swear these babies have done more in their 2/1 years than I did until I was 18!



We felt so lucky to have a hand in such an amazing event. Thank you so much Melissa for putting it together!

No comments: